Re: Use of same cable for Video and computer

  • Subject: Re: Use of same cable for Video and computer
  • From: Keith Doxey
  • Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2004 15:02:00 +0000

Quoting tonydenson <<a
href="/group/kat5-users/post?postID=ojFH2EGg-yrvo8PMnuadqskNooDzppHasKKfPr7xeNYVGfXFjI0x1v30voHjabs56q8NjQesyPGNgZ4H">tonydenson@y...</a>>:

> A pretty basic question but I've been through the archives here and
> can't see any reference to it. Is it possible to use the same piece
> of Cat5 to support both the Kat5 technology and a computer LAN ? It
> seems the obvious thing to want to do. I appreciate I might only get
> one video channel instead of two.

Hi Tony,

It *COULD* be done and would probably work fine but it totally goes against
the
concept of structured cabling which is a single cable for a single purpose.

If you used commercially available CAT5 splitters designed to bodge two
ethernet circuits over a single cable you would have the following
available on
the KAT5 units.

Composite Video - Orange Pair
Right Audio - Green Pair

As these are the two pairs used by ethernet so are the ones that would be
available on either of the sockets of the splitter. You would obviously
need to
ensure that you got the two socets the right way round!

As I said, it could be done but you then lose the ability for S-Video and
Stereo Audio.

Keith

www.diyha.co.uk
www.kat5.tv