Re: Strange X10 Lamp module problem

On 2/1/2012 2:44 PM, dlh wrote:
> On Feb 1, 9:08 am, Art Todesco<actode...@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

> Duke and other utilities are using an Echelon Data Concentrator (or
> similar devices made by others but still using LonTalk). I think there
> is one per transformer and they act as a router with the ability to
> query the meters, shed loads, etc. and send usage data to the central
> office over the powerlines. They may not have implemented all of the
> features initially. In the Cincinnati area numerous X10 users have
> seen random turn-ons which appear to be caused by very high amplitude
> 86kHz signals from the data concentrators. Duke has told one person
> that Echelon is working on a filter that they will try at his
> residence when received.
>
>       http://www.echelon.com/metering/nes_dc.htm
>
> Jeff Volp has found a combination of clamp-on ferrites plus a filter
> across the two hot legs that also seems to filter the signals.
>
> I suspect it's the amplitude (which rises in response to "noise")  of
> the signals that is causing the problem, acting like spikes which X10
> has acknowledged causes similar issues. In two cases, people
> experiencing the problem found that Smarthome made X-10 modules set to
> the same address appeared to be immune. This was, however, a very
> small sample size so YMMV.
>
> This may or may not be the cause of your issue but I think it's
> worthwhile for all X10 users to be aware of it with the nationwide
> rollout of smart meters.
>
> I live across the river from Cincinnati and my area was an early test
> area for Duke about 5 years ago. I saw no X-10 issues (most of my gear
> is not X10-made) but did have some inexpensive appliances with
> electronic controls go berserk.
Well, this was a random turn off, but once it was off, it was locked and
could not be turned back on, until I power cycled the modules.  And, in
my area, Duke uses an RF system to read the meters.  I talked to the
Duke guy, whose son lives in my subdivision, and he said that he goes to
the highest point and reads all the meters below, from his truck.  He
actually changed out my meter because it was not the proper type that
could be read from his RF reader.  Also, this happened at night, maybe
10PM, when I seriously doubt that he was doing any meter reads.