Re: Strange X10 Lamp module problem

On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 08:55:40 -0500, Art Todesco <actodesco@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>On 1/30/2012 1:04 PM, dlh wrote:
>> On Jan 30, 9:16 am, Art Todesco<actode...@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
>>> Here a new one on me.  I have used X10 in my house since it came out and
>>> have never seen this.  I have 2 lamp modules plugged into the same
>>> outlet strip.  One is a stock lamp module, the other is a lamp module,
>>> but with the solid state relay modification found on a few on-line
>>> sites.  It has worked perfectly for some time.  So this modification
>>> actually makes it a silent appliance module.  But, it's still a lamp
>>> module at heart, only the output is a little different.  The are both
>>> set to B1.  The SSR modified module has 2 lamps (w/CFLs) connected to
>>> it, hence the SSR.   The other one has a heated warming blanket.  Last
>>> night, both were on and all of a sudden, both just shut down by
>>> themselves ... this is not the strange part.  After, neither would
>>> respond to any X10 commands.  I only used a wireless remote with
>>> transceiver for testing.  I probably should have tried a direct X10
>>> command from a manual controller, but I don't think that would have made
>>> a difference.  And I never touched the transceiver, only the wireless
>>> remote.  At first I blamed the modification, as I hadn't noticed that
>>> the unmodified module was also off,  But then I discovered it too was
>>> off and wouldn't respond either.  After powering down bother modules and
>>> re-powering, they now both work perfectly!   I haven't a clue as to what
>>> could have caused this problem.  It had to be some "command" or pseudo
>>> command (noise?).  There are only 2 houses on the outside transformer.
>>> And, we are pretty far from any neighbors making it difficult to get
>>> rogue RF transmissions, i.e. lots in the subdivision are 3 - 4 acres.
>>> And the one neighbor on the same transformer doesn't have or even know
>>> what X10 is.  Any ideas??
>>
>> There have been many reports of sudden plagues of random ONs and/or
>> OFFs after the installation of a "Smart" Meter by various electrical
>> utilities in various parts of the country. All of them appear to use
>> LonTalk (although identifying it by the ANSI standard number) to
>> communicate between meters and the Data Aggregator which usually
>> serves all of the meters on the same transformer. It appears to affect
>> X10-made modules and switches (but not those made by Smarthome).
>We have an RF reading electric meter in this house.  The guy from the
>power company parks up at the top of the mountain and can access
>everyone below.  But this problem occurred at night and the modules both
>appeared to lock up in the off condition, until they were power cycled.
>  If it were only one, ok, but 2, side by side, on the same house and
>unit code?  And, there were not other lockups in the entire house.  Weird.

1.  The Noise could be code dependant..  switching to different
module/house code.

2.  I have found that certain motion activated or dusk/dawn light
(inside or outside) control units often generate lots of RF line
noise.. Ergo the problem shows up at after dusk.

3.  Any of the cheaply made non-fcc approved, ac to dc walwarts could
make lot's of RF noise..   (Start up-plugging things, or flipping
breakers.)