Re: Google pushing Android for home automation

On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 15:22:56 -0600, Evans Winner <ego111@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in
message  <86ips9mnnz.fsf@xxxxxxxxx>:

>My apologies if this is not interesting or old news here.
>I saw this today on Slashdot.  Apparently Google wants to
>push the Android platform as a controller for home
>automation.  A quote:
>
>"With more than 400,000 Android devices being activated
>worldwide every day and a global community of 450,000
>independent Android software developers, Google hopes
>appliance manufacturers will be willing to embed the
>company's "Tungsten" control technology in their products,
>and that consumers will be willing to spend the money to buy
>Google's wireless control "bridge" that will connect
>individual appliances to an Android device through a home
>Wi-Fi network."
>
>http://www.siliconvalley.com/ci_18239897?nclick_check=1

No apologies needed. This may turn out to be a significant development.

The article doesn't explain something that should be of considerable interest
to DIY HA folks, namely that "The Android Open Accessory Development Kit
(ADK) provides an implementation of an Android USB accessory that is based on
the Arduino open source electronics prototyping platform".

http://www.arduino.cc/ .

The Arduino microcontroller platform has one of the gentler learning curves,
a robust community and abundant contributed code pertinent to hardware
control, DAQ and HA.

Here's more specifics on the google-arduino connection:
http://code.google.com/p/arduino/
http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/usb/adk.html

HTH ... Marc
Marc_F_Hult