Re: New X-10 whole house music system

responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/New-X-10-whole-house-music-system-644789-.htm
DA wrote:
> Anyone have any "hands on" experience with one of these?

> http://www.x10.com/audio_distribution/encore_audio_distribution.html

> "The brains behind the Encore System is the Distribution Hub,
> featuring DIGI-5 technology

> I would like to have an RF whole house audio system if it can deliver
> without buzzing and scratching but the ad copy leaves too much
> unexplained

Well, yes, it does leave too much unexplained and I guess the most
unexplained is how they managed to not mention once that this is NOT a
wireless system. The remote controls are (IR?) but not the actual sound
distribution / power for amplification.

As far as I can tell, DIGI-5 is a newer take on the old (non-digital)
A-Bus technology

http://www.atonhome.com/DIGI-5.html

http://www.a-bus.com/about/whatisABUS.html

They both require CAT5 cables for distribution of the audio signal /
power.

I don't have experience with DIGI-5 but I am using A-Bus throughout the
house and it's great - I love it.  And if you use A-Bus, you can get away
with something like $120 worth of equipment (CAT5 cable and the speakers
extra, just like with the DIGI system) for 1 source to 4 rooms or
something like $300 for 4 sources/4 rooms. Look up Channel Vision A-bus
devices on e-Bay, they are (or at least used to be) the cheapest and I
sourced the entire system from eBay. I don't remember the actual costs
from 3 years ago but it was negligible compared to speakers / cable /
installation

Good luck!

 /\_/\
((@v@)) NIGHT