Re: how to use a low volt switch on a 120Volts light bulb?

On Apr 18, 11:23=A0am, "emor...@xxxxxxxxx" <emor...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> You might notice from previous posts that I know nothing about
> electricity. I thought maybe someone in this forum could give me some
> guidance on how to complete this project.
>
> I boght the following sensorhttp://www.smarthome.com/77413/Enforcer-Reces=
sed-Mount-Magnetic-Conta...
> to detect if a door is open or closed. My idea is to install this on
> the storage room so that the light turns on automatically as soon as I
> open the door, and turn off the light when the door is closed(similar
> to refrigerators=92 light)
>
> The problem is that this seems to be a low voltage device and the
> light bulb is 120Volts. I don=92t think I should just send electricity
> form the power outlet directly to this switch.
>
> Does anyone have any idea how can I turn on/off a 120Volts light bulb
> using this low voltage switch?
>
> Thanks in advanced.

You are correct that you absolutely CANNOT just run 120vac through
that switch.  It would destroy the switch instantly, and create a fire
hazard as well.  That's why they call it a "low-voltage" switch.
Rather than trying to make a low voltage switch control high voltage,
an easier solution is just to get a 120 volt door switch.  But even
that takes a lot of effort to install and must be done according to
the electric code to be safe and legal.  A much easier solution is
either a free standing motion sensor light, such as
http://www.smarthome.com/251SP/Mr-Beams-Motion-Sensor-LED-Spotlight/p.aspx
or, if there is already a light in the closet, use a motion sensor
that mounts in the existing socket, such as
http://www.smarthome.com/25034GY/Heath-Zenith-SL-5211-GR-75W-Instant-Motion=
-Sensor-Light-Control-Gray/p.aspx
You should be able to find this, or something similar at a local
hardware store, or order it from smarthome.  Is there an existing
light in the closet?  How about a 120volt outlet?

Norman Smith