Re: Insteon and other X10 alternatives?

Greg Maletic <gmaletic@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I had an X10 set-up in a condo that I just moved out of. I'm now in a
> house, and was thinking of doing an Insteon set-up. To my surprise,
> when I search for the term "Insteon" in this group, there are no hits!
>
> I'm curious how well Insteon works in the real world, and if there are
> other alternatives I should be considering that go beyond X10.

It works very well in my house, with one near-fatal exception:  the 2412S
powerline modem locks up in modes that require cycling power to restore,
which is just unacceptable in a system that's intended to reliably run
lights and other systems unattended.  I've wound up building a little
box that detects when my server is sending serial data to the PLM and
not getting answers, and resets the PLM.

I notice the 2412 appears to be out of production; a 2413S (2412S +
INSTEON wireless access point) appears to have replaced it.  I'd be very
curious to know whether this device has fixed the firmware bugs of the
2412.