Re: X10 PC Interface upgrade

On 5/31/2010 3:27 PM, Dabbler wrote:
> "Art Todesco" <actodesco@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> I started with X10 when no one knew what X10 was. The early modules
>> were not very reliable. These were the old brown units, which I
>> actually still have a few. I had a "timer" unit to control the
>> on/offs. Then a CP290. I went from the CP290 directly to the 1132
>> because I could never get it to work correctly with Windows, probably
>> 98, but maybe it was ME (yuk).
>
> So you never even tried the CM15A USB based controller? That is supposed
> to work with Windows though I could not confirm what version of Windows.
> I have a suspicion that they stopped upgrading its software with Windows
> 95. But you're right about those old X10 modules, especially the lamp
> modules. They seldom lasted long. I started with X-10 around '84 and did
> not upgrade much beyond getting newer modules. I remember that in the
> old days X10 was not recommending the use of their modules with
> flurescent lights. Has that changed? It would have to, with the "green"
> campaign to replace incandescent lights with fluorescent ones.
CFLs seem to have problems with most
modules because of the sensing current.
  I have 2 lamps with CFLs connected to
one appliance module.  When off, one of
the lamps dimly flickers periodically
from the sensing current ... funny, the
other doesn't.  I think there are ways
to modify the modules to remove the
sensing current, but I'm not sure.  I
probably should use one of my modified
Universal Modules for these lamps.  They
are modified to bring out line voltage
to a female connector on a short cord.
The screw terminals were removed.

>> As for XP going the way of DOS, I don't see that happening in my house
>> real soon. Microsoft saw to that when they came out with Vista.
>> Windows 7 looks good, but really, what does it do other than automatic
>> side by side windows (according to their commercials that's all they
>> seem to be able to tout). I think my laptop will never do anything but
>> XP.
>
> Well, 64-bit PCs will be the main computing platforms soon and Windows 7
> helps to spread it. So we might as well get on with the program. ;-)
As I said, I'll probably stay with XP on
my laptop, to it can be used with the
1132.  I would like to find a cheap copy
of the Manager Plus software to do some
if/thens that I can't do now.  I refuse
to pay SH for software for their
crippled product unless they were to fix
things .... which will never happen.