Infrared control gadgets?

I am looking to set up a PC as a media control centre and just starting to
explore options.

I have seen a few input devices and software packages but know littl eabout
them. Girder seems to be the most publicized but I am sure there are many
more.

The USB-AIRT module look like a workabel compatible unit. It's distance may
be a bit limited.

Anybody have experience with some of the IR detection hardware and software?
I would appreciate hearing some of your experiences.

TIA