Re: Infrared control gadgets?

On Jan 3, 10:04=A0pm, "Josepi" <J...@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am looking to set up a PC as a media control centre and just starting t=
> explore options.
>
> I have seen a few input devices and software packages but know littl eabo=
ut
> them. Girder seems to be the most publicized but I am sure there are many
> more.
>
> The USB-AIRT module look like a workabel compatible unit. It's distance m=
ay
> be a bit limited.
>
> Anybody have experience with some of the IR detection hardware and softwa=
re?
> I would appreciate hearing some of your experiences.
>
> TIA

My last PC came with a remote and IR receiver for Windows Media
Player.  In WMP you can elect to "share" the media with any computer
in the house securely (grant delete access to only you etc).

The remote also controls Windows Media Center which I use as my main
DVR with a HD tuner card and to share tuner feed across home.

I prefer the media library in WMP over the overly GUI-exagerrated one
in WMC though both programs have their strong and weak points.

I mention this because all this is free and works great in my home for
sharing, recording, searching and controlling media of all kinds.

I even networked my USB hub so the portable players and cameras, etc.
can be accessed over the network and managed in the same software.

I would recommend running the data store as RAID1 though, then you
never have to worry about backups even though a 2TB drive becomes a
1TB drive.

I've just completed ripping my entire CD collection in lossless audio
(about 2500 CD's to the drive), accessing my home network from work is
easy and I can listen to any CD in my collection without having to
load it onto my employers computer (I work with headphones on a lot).

Media centers are fun and can be totally free of cost these days.