Re: New Fridge - setting up monitoring

On Aug 5, 6:24=A0am, "Robert Green" <robert_green1...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> <trad...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> On Aug 4, 12:35 pm, ransley <Mark_Rans...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > On Aug 4, 6:52 am, "Robert Green" <robert_green1...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > > Just got a new fridge, and I thought I would try monitoring operating
> > > parameters with my home automation system. I 've got sensors for kWhs
> used,
> > > ambient room temperature, freezer and refrigerator temps and the
> temperature
> > > of a sensor on the back of the unit. I was hoping this should give me
> > > enough of a baseline to be able to detect "out of whack" conditions
> before
> > > they show up in a puddle on the floor or a failure to cool.
>
> > > I discovered in my old fridge that as freon leaked, the kilowatt hour=
> used
> > > shot way up before I noticed the problem in the fridge temp (that bec=
ame
> > > obvious on a very hot day when we had the A/C off and the kitchen tem=
> was
> > > about 20 degrees over normal. Unfortunately, on the old box, I didn't
> have
> > > good baseline figures from the early on when it worked well. That's w=
hy
> > > am trying to determine what information I need to be able to have my
> home
> > > automation system (HomeVision, CPU-XA, ActiveHome and more) record an=
> > > process to alert me that there's an issue with the unit.
>
> > > I suspect that the electricity consumed daily will rise as the dust o=
> the
> > > coils builds up. That should be detectable by looking at the average
> daily
> > > power used figure. I am recording ambient, backplate and internal tem=
ps
> as
> > > well in case the power usage increase is due to other factors, like t=
his
> > > stinking endless heat wave. I also want a baseline on energy consumed
> and
> > > back plate temperature in case I decide to put a filter on the air
> intake to
> > > minimize coil cleaning. I found out the hard way that an added filter
> can
> > > decrease air flow on some devices to the point of overheating the mot=
or.
> If
> > > the filter blocks too much airflow I would expect power consumption a=
nd
> the
> > > back plate temperature to rise conspicuously.
>
> > > Reading this over, I realized I need two more monitors. A battery-bac=
ked
> > > dialer that can call my cellphone to tell me to buy dry ice because t=
he
> > > power or compressor failed and a door alert to let me know if the dog
> [...]

When I'm traveling, I have much better things to think about than what
the temp and operating efficiency of my fridge is.   Do you have $20K
worth of food in that fridge?    So, if I lose $200 worth of food, big
deal.   Guess what.  In 40+ years, living in many houses and
apartments, it has happened exactly one time.   That was when I was in
college and since it was a dorm fridge, the college even paid us for
the lost food.   And it's not exactly a bad thing either, as when u
clean out the freezer, probably 20% of the food has long been
forgotten and should have been chucked long ago.

On the other hand, what's the cost, time, and maintenance involved in
placing multiple monitors on a refrigerator over 40 years?  How often
do the sensors and other parts of the system fail compared to the
fridge?   In my experience, home electronics is far less reliable than
the fridge.