Re: thermometers?

On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 15:05:18 -0600, Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

> Charles Sullivan <cwsulliv@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 16:38:20 -0600, Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks -- that's very helpful!  But they don't seem to have anything
>>> that looks like a permanent installation...
>>
>> I'm not sure what you mean by "permanent installation".
>
> I'm thinking in terms of an in-wall installation -- the best of all
> possible worlds would be if I could replace an existing junction box
> with a 2-gang, put the sensor in the new part, and power it off the AC.

I don't know of any such device.  In any event  although you might put a
power supply module inside the box (assuming it meets code to do so), the
temperature sensing element at least would have to be on the outside,
open to the ambient air and probably somewhat remote so it's not
influenced by the heat from the power supply.  And you'd want the sensing
element to be around 5 feet off the floor, not down at the level of most
residential AC receptacles.