Re: No X-10 in dining room

JimH wrote:
> David White wrote:
>> JimH wrote:
>>> I just moved into a brand new house. My X10 stuff came along and just
>>> plugged in and worked. The only problem is with my dining room.
>>> Nothing works in there. Well, almost nothing. I have a chime that did
>>> work in that room.
>>>
>>> I have a small lamp with an attached lamp module that I can carry
>>> around, and I've tested every outlet in the dining room, and other
>>> rooms. Only the dining room seems to have any problems.
>>>
>>> I initially thought it might be a phase problem with that room, but I
>>> added a 4 prong dryer phase coupler. That had no affect other than to
>>> stop the chime from working. It was pretty difficult moving the dryer
>>> to install it, so I'm not planning on removing it.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>> --
>>> Jim
>>
>> One other thought, though unlikely in a dining room is that this
>> circuit is protected by a ground-fault circuit. I have found x-10 to
>> be unreliable on such a circuit.
>

> Sorry I haven't responded. Moving into a new house makes for a lot of work.
>
> Unfortunately, there is no GFCI on that room. There are also no other
> devices in the circuit. It has two lights, and a few empty outlets.
>
> I see that Smart Home sells an X-10 recorder with signal strength.
> Unfortunately, it is $300.
>
> Thanks for the ideas. If I come up with a solution, I'll post it here.
> In the mean time, I'm using a mechanical timer for my china cabinet lights.
>
> One more question... How well does mixing X-10 and Insteon work? Can I
> run them at the same time without interference?
>
> Thanks.
> --
> Jim

Jim, I have no experience with Insteon so I am afraid I am no help there
(not that I have been otherwise).

Can you put a controller unit in the dining room and test to see if X-10
works in a different outlet? I am not sure what this would prove, but it
could at least show if X-10 can work at all on that same circuit.

One other thing is that I tried a passive coupler unit on my clothes
drier and it didn't help that much. I have heard that the
coupler/repeaters work much better.