Re: Garage door control

Spud Demon wrote:
> I want to automate my garage door using Linux.  The idea is that the
> computer records which codes are pressed and triggers the door if one
> is correct.  It also takes a picture of the person at the control.  So
> I need recommendations for the following pieces of hardware:
>
> * keypad -- to be used in the script, not as a console keypad.  It
> will be mounted outdoors so it shouldn't be too expensive.  Preferably
> USB.

Please post back here if you find one that doesn't automatically
become a console input device.

> * relay -- I found the Super4 http://emx.net.au/super4usbrelay.htm Is
> it the best for the price?
>
> * camera -- also mounted outdoors (but under an eve so it won't get
> too wet)
>
> * open/closed sensor

http://www.smarthome.com/_/ProductResults.aspx?Ntt=garage+door
Then you'll need a contact closure to usb board so you may
want an IO modules from the relay folks above instead of just
a relay board. Add a solid state relay to the output to control
the door.

> * USB extender -- the garage door is 75' away from the computer I want
> to use, 30' away from one I could use in a pinch.-
>
> Anything else I should know before I start?

Someone mentioned a UPS, with which I agree. But as far
as functionality goes in this case if the computer loses power
the garage opener will likely also. If you're considering powering
the door too choose UPS carefully. Depending on UPS type it
won't operate a motor (inductive load).