Signal Bridging Questions...

A few years ago, I added a signal bridge (
http://www.smarthome.com/4816H.html ) to a friend's X-10 setup to deal with
classic bridging symptoms (worked with 240V resistive load on).  Every thing
worked great for several years.  The same symptoms reappeared recently.
Cranking up the baseboard heat eliminated the problem so I assumed the
signal bridge had failed & ordered a new one.  Installed that yesterday &
yet the problem persists.

I'm going back today & verify that the supply wires are hot, but assuming
they are, I have a few questions:

1) Is there any way to test the unit with only a multimeter?

2) Should I just assume I was sent a bum unit & return it for another?

3) Any other possible explanations for this behavior?

--

Keith