Re: CFLs flicker when Wall Swtich WS467 is OFF

"Jim Hewitt" <jim.hewitt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> Howdy,
>
> I've been slowlyg trying CFLs in the house to see if they work OK wtih our
> X10 installation.  We've decided that the quality of light is acceptable
> for the energy $ savings.
>
> But, when I put some (N:Vision from Home Depot) 60W CFLs in the kids' room
> overehad light, controlled by a WS467, everything was fine until I turned
> the lights off.  They don't go fully off!  We get a very low light
> flicker, probably 5-10 times a second.  I triple-checked, the wall switch
> was not dimming the lights.
>
> Is this a result of the current sense (for local control)?  If so, would
> the standard mode for disabling current sense stop this?
>
> It is doubtful that the kids would sleep well with this annyong flicker,
> but also likely that it would also damage the CFL electronics eventually.
>
> Thank you for  any input.  Or for pointing me to a more appropriate group.
>
> Jim

The WS467 is a 2 wire device that requires continuous current
flow to operate.   It normally gets this through the cold filament
of an incandescant lamp.  Put a small incandescant lamp in
parallel with the CFL and the CFL will stop flickering.  I'm
currently using a 15 watt lamp but I plan to try a 4 watt night
light.