Re: X10 is driving me nuts!

"MikeG" <fromnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:3rej74pj2rk4v5hnhm93e14e3pqedapth2@xxxxxxxxxx
> I have a strange problem that I'm hoping someone can help with.
>
> After 3 years of (almost!) flawless operation, my X10 setup has
> virtually stopped working.
>
> There have been no recent additions to the appliances in the house
> however I have ascertained that it is the transformer of a 4 year old
> Sony LCD TV in the kitchen that is causing the problems.

I'm afraid I have to challenge the assertion that the Sony is main source of
the trouble since it's possible but not likely it's suddenly gone loco on
you after four years.  A more likely scenario is that it's interacting badly
with some newer piece of equipment.

For a long time, I "certified" new electrical gear of any kind against a
powerline signal analyzer to make sure it didn't emit noise in the X-10 band
or that it didn't attenuate the X-10 transmission.  I came to find that
while single devices didn't cause signal sucking or interference, two
appliances of *just* the right type can cause a whole heap of trouble.

Has the Sony been moved to a new location?  There has to be some other
factor that accounts for the Sony not interfering for all these years and
suddenly beginning to do so now.

There is another possibility:  There's a chance that aging has caused the
Sony to misbehave.  I've had fluorescent workshop fixtures "pass" my
certification only to emit
incredible amounts of noise once the bulbs began to blacken.

> I've tried an filter on the TV but with no luck - every time I plug it
> in, 80% of the X10 devices stop working.

I'd try putting a second filter in the setup.   Then I might try relocating
the X-10 transmitter to an outlet that is not "in the line of sight" of the
Sony and the panel.  The closer to the panel, the better.

What sort of X-10 devices do you use and where are they located in relation
to the TV set?  A central controller?

--
Bobby G.