Re: Digital Tools Help Users Save Energy, Study Finds

have not seen the causes.
They are, in comparison with those who have discovered the causes, as those
who have only eyes are in comparison with those who have intellect. For the
effects are perceptible by sense, and the causes are visible only to the
intellect. And although these effects are seen by the mind, this mind is, in
comparison with the mind which sees the causes, as the bodily senses are in
comparison with the intellect.

235. Rem viderunt, causam non viderunt.29

236. According to the doctrine of chance, you ought to put yourself to the
trouble of searching for the truth; for if you die without worshipping the
True Cause, you are lost. "But," say you, "if He had wished me to worship
Him, He would have left me signs of His will." He has done so; but you
neglect them. Seek them, therefore; it is well worth it.

237. Chances.--We must live differently in the world, according to these
different assumptions: (1) that we could always remain in it; (2) that it is
certain that we shall not remain here long, and uncertain if we shall remain
here one hour. This last assumption is our condition.

238. What do you then promise me, in addition to certain troubles, but ten
years of self-love (for ten years is the chance), to try hard to please
without success?

239. Objection.--Those who hope for salvation are so far happy; but they
have as a counterpoise the fear of hell.

Reply.--Who has most reason to fear hell: he who is in ignorance whether
there is a hell, and who is certain of damnation if there is; or he who
certainly believes there is a hell and hopes to be saved if there is?

240. "I would soon have renounced pleasure," say they, "had I faith." For my
part I tell you, "You would soon have faith, if you renounced pleasure."
Now, it is for you to b