Re: Adding a an on/off switch to appliance that doesnt have one

"AZ Nomad" <aznomad.2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>  Robert Green <ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >"sylvan butler" <ZsdbUse1+noZs_0801@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
message

>http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpItmDspRte.jsp?item=26321&section=1176
7

> >Nice catch, Sylvan.  Sometimes, when I want to add a switch to a fairly
low
> >current device like a battery charger, I use a rocker or thumbwheel type
> >line cord switch, like one of these:
>
> >http://images.orgill.com/200x200/4345880.jpg
>
> That's pretty damn silly.  The cost of the switch and the laber involved
> will *never* be recouped.

Huh?  It takes about five minutes to install a line cord switch with screw
terminals, about 90 seconds to add one that uses insulation displacement
connectors.  You open up the switch, slit the zip cord, pull out the hot
wire, cut about an inch out of it, strip the ends, screw them down, close
the case and you're done.   I believe I bought a batch of three or four for
a few dollars from Allelectronics, who is out of stock at the moment or else
I would have used their site to as an illustration.

IMHO, putting a $2 switch on a 12V float charger turns out to be a very
cost-effective investment if it keeps the charger from immolating itself
from a direct short.   I lost one $25 charger that way, but I haven't lost
another since adding a line cord switch so that I can wait until all the
battery connections are made before powering up.  In the case of space
heaters and electric grilles, adding a switch might help prevent an
accidental activation and fire.  How would you factor that potential benefit
into your cost/benefit analysis?  I believe it's one of the reasons the OP
was looking for a shutoff switch in the first place.

Now if you're talking about what I said regarding enlarging and duplexing
the outlet boxes and replacing the double outlets with a duplex switch and
outlet so that each outlet has a corresponding wall switch above it, I agree
that it would take a lot of labor and at least $10 in parts.  However,
there's no way to put a price on spouse approval and I know at least two
women who would not want an extra do-hickey appearing on the end of a line
cord.  In fact, they probably wouldn't like the idea of a George Forman
grill sitting out on the countertop when not in actual use.  So adding a
plug switch for such a device would be somewhat of a moot point.

As another example, I imagine there's more than one CHA'er who has switched
to an expensive multibrand programmable remote for lots of extra $$$ and
considerable time and effort.  I imagine that at least one of them made the
switch because the SAF of a coffeetable full of different remotes was so
low.  Hard to put a price on peace of mind.

--
Bobby G.