Re: Open Source

"Karl Denninger" wrote:

> Oh I certainly understand that Robert.
>
> But let's look at history, shall we?
>
> What is the ONLY HA protocol that has ever managed to get any sort
> of real following and penetration?
>
> The ONLY one, despite multiple contenders?
>
> X10.
>
> The worst of all from a technical perspective.
>
> WHY?
>
> Because they didn't have their head up their asshole.
>
> That's all.

Not having performed the examination, I'll take your word for it.

> Crestron, Compose, etc - all very nice, all very proprietary, all
> niche products with no material market share.  Zensys is just
> another pretender in a long line that includes these, UPB and
> others.  None have gone anywhere, and a big part of the "why" is
> attitude.

I disagree.  Z-Wave is quite different from Crestron (I don't know
much about Compose so no comment) in that it's not *just* a
proprietary format.  It's available to anyone who wants to pay for
the SDK and sign up.  As I explained earlier, scores of the top
players in the industry have already done so.  Zensys' future success
depends on companies like Leviton and Intel for whom the SDK price is
so trivial it's a non-issue.  They have specifically chosen NOT to
market to folks like you because they're not interested in your tiny
(albeit useful) segment of the market.

> The "Microsoft" model (we fuck everybody) simply doesn't work when
> you're not first and can't build enough of a base to effectively
> lock everyone else out.

They're not trying to lock everyone out -- just you.

> But heh, what works works.  I don't give a shit if Zensys likes me
> or thinks I'm the anti-christ.

I doubt they give it a thought.  You're just not their customer.  If
anyone there who might have been inclined to try to find a way to
deal with small operators like yourself happened to read your post,
I'm sure they'd say "screw him" and forget about it.  End of story.

> I write this code because I enjoy it.  If others find it useful,
> that's great.  If not, well, I still have my own home and my own
> uses for it, so there you go.

I'm glad you're doing it.  Anything that makes a positive
contribution to the overall HA universe is a good thing.  I hope some
day it becomes popular enough that you decide to turn it into a
business.  Either way, best of luck.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass