Re: Open Source

Dave Houston wrote:
> Salman <salman.haq@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Are there any open source drivers or control software to communicate
>> with Z-Wave, Insteon, X-10 devices, etc?
>
> Zensys (Z-Wave) charges a hefty fee for their SDK and requires an NDA so
> it's unlikely you will find open source for it although there are a couple
> of vendors who do document the protocols for their Z-Wave controllers (but
> not for the Z-Wave protocol itself).

Zensys can bite me; it is not difficult to figure out the wire protocol
for most of the devices and for those where that doesn't work you just
pound the shit out of the vendor in public (e.g. Intermatic) and often
you can get results (I did with their PIRs)

Vendors, if they want to sell product, can document their shit.  I don't
care what Zensys thinks - I not only won't pay them for their SDK I'm
not buying their shit.

I'm buying devices from vendors and THEY OWN THE SPECIFICATIONS ON THEM;
they both can and should document the wire protocol for their equipment.

BTW HomeDaemon's ZWave interface works very well.

--
Karl Denninger (karl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)
http://www.denninger.net