Re: insteon delay

On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 14:30:36 GMT, "peter" <nospam@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
message  <geqKj.3430$3w2.1376@trnddc05>:

>> 4) And you have performed an initial of the "kit" (which one ?) with
>> the remote, receiver and light being controlled in the same room ?
>
>Yes. One access point on each phase of the house wiring.
>One access point is in the same room, another is in a different room.
>The kit with two access points, two plug-in lamplincs, and a silver color
>remotelinc.

How long is the "delay" when performing an ON or OFF (not dim) ? My
experience is that it is a fraction of a second.

To isolate the problem (defective equipment, RF interference, or powerline
signal attenuation/noise), try plugging in only _one_ Lamplinc and _one_
Access Point into the _same_ outlet. Try both Access Points (one at a
time) and both Lamplincs (one at a time).

Not to belabour the obvious, but:

1) If the delay disappears in all cases (compared to your previous
multi-room setup), the issue is most likely in your powerline and the
problem identification and solutions are similar to that of X-10.

2) If the "delay" only occurs when a specific part is used, that part is
the probable culprit.

3) If there is still a "delay" in each case, your remotelinc may be
defective.

>The delay is not as pronouce as with x10. It's tolerable, but I was
>hoping  to replace the x10 with a "perfect" (perfect for me) home control
>system. I  guess I'd have to buy a z-wave starter kit to test.

Good idea in any case if you contemplate more than a minimal
installation.. No data is as compelling  as that from a real-world test in
your own environment. If your wiring is not initially friendly to
powerline control, and you don't want the hassle and expense of making it
so, INSTEON may not be what you want.

Or you may want more than one technology. I have a couple of different
hard-wired strategies that include lighting as ell as INSTEON.  I've
contemplated Z-wave for a location where none of my existing approaches is
easy to implement.

HTH ... Marc

Visit my ongoing Home Automation and Electronics Internet Porch Sale at
www.ECOntrol.org/porch_sale.htm

Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org