Re: LED Xmas lights and X10.. the final solution...

Already done (and has been for years)..  A bit more than a MT10.  I got
a Linux box that interfaces with a 1-Wire USB adapter and a X10 CM15a,
with a custom app and scripting! (no script downloaded to the Cm15a, as
the X10 SW really was bad!). ("If date >Thanksgiving and date < Jan 02,
turn on Xmas lights at sunset", and then, "if Xmas lights are on, turn
them off +/- minutes of 11:00 PM" )

It controls my house year round (i.e. "turn of the attic fan if the temp
in the attic is over 110", and logs the number of times the AC comes on,
and the total time it's on each day).