Re: Surveillance camera wiring

In article <1194115395.371882.27810@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, betty111111@xxxxxxxxx (betty) writes:

| I have some questions though about the video signal.  A camera such as
| the Sanyo vcc-4794 has a BNC connector for the video output.  I was
| planning to connect this to a coax cable to bring it from my garage to
| my house.  Is this signal  from the camera the same as the video
| component of RCA cables?

Yes.

| Is a coax cable the best choice or should I just run a single wire
| equivalent to the RCA video wire?   Many of the modulators take in RCA
| and put them on coax but I just want to make sure I buy the right
| stuff.

Yes, coax is suitable for both baseband video and RF applications.  Any
good "RCA video wire" *is* coax.  I terminate all RG59 and RG6 cable with
F connectors and then use suitable adapters (usually F to RCA or F to BNC)
at the camera and equipment ends.  This makes it easy to change equipment
(so-called "professional" is usually BNC while "consumer" is RCA) and also
means I need remember only one crimping procedure (which also covers RF
applications). :)  Note that you can often get bags of adapters on eBay
for the cost of one or two at Radio Shack, but watch the shipping charges.

				Dan Lanciani
				ddl@danlan.*com