Re: extending range of wireless net

AZ Woody wrote:
> I got to wonder why Linksys (now really cisco) doesn't just include the
> better antennas!  It might cost them $.01 cent more per unit.

With antennas (as in life) nothing is free.

An antenna with "gain" is simply a directional antenna. The RF pattern
is changed in order to provide the gain.

The stock Linksys antennas are essentially omnidirectional. In order to
get 7db gain RF coverage is removed from the areas above and below the
antenna. This is fine as long as you are not trying to cover a basement
below or a floor above the wireless unit.