Re: Fluorescent Bulbs Are Known to Zap Domestic Tranquillity; Energy-Savers a Turnoff for Wives

> The energy figures tossed about by the
> tree-huggers would appear to be just as
> inflated as the life expectancy figures
> tossed about by the CFL manufacturers.

Or...  You're wrong entirely.  Calling people
who care about the future of the planet "tree
huggers" does nothing to further a meritless
POV.

> Furthermore, since many industrial and
> commercial uses already are using high
> efficiency lamps there's not a lot to gain
> by forcing them to use CFLs.

That is an unproven hypothesis.  You have
way of knowing what percentage of commercial
and industrial users employ high efficiency
lighting.  Without hard figures your claim
that "there's not a lot to gain" is baseless.

> So, CFLs aren't going to save the planet but
> may light it so poorly that we won't notice as
> it ebbs away. :(

CFL's alone won't save the planet.  Neither
will any one, single technology.  However,
using high efficiency lighting is one of many
useful steps we can take to slow the destruction
of the planet.  It is patently absurd to claim that
because one useful thing won't solve all our
problems that thing should not be implemented.
Your argument is analogous to saying that
since arresting one serial killer will not stop the
tide of violence in our world we shouldn't have
bothered arresting Ted Bundy.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass