Re: Fluorescent Bulbs Are Known to Zap Domestic Tranquillity; Energy-Savers a Turnoff for Wives

On a related topic, I saw an AP story yesterday that claimed lighting
accounts for 22% of USA electricity use. Having earlier found (and cited)
DOE data saying lighting was 9% of residential use and 6% of industrial use,
I contacted the EIA (Energy Information Administration) for help in finding
statistics for the commercial sector. You'll have to do the math yourself
but, in 1999, lighting accounted for about 23% of total commercial sector
electricity use. (716 / 3098)

     http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/aer/pdf/pages/sec2_29.pdf

Using figures I cited earlier, each sector accounts for about 1/3 of the
total so that means lighting takes about 12-13% of total USA electricity
use, much less than the figures given by the NYT & AP. The energy figures
tossed about by the tree-huggers would appear to be just as inflated as the
life expectancy figures tossed about by the CFL manufacturers.

Furthermore, since many industrial and commercial uses already are using
high efficiency lamps there's not a lot to gain by forcing them to use CFLs.

So, CFLs aren't going to save the planet but may light it so poorly that we
won't notice as it ebbs away. :(