Re: Fluorescent Bulbs Are Known to Zap Domestic Tranquillity; Energy-Savers a Turnoff for Wives

On Apr 30, 4:35 pm, "Robert Green" <ROBERT_GREEN1...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> "Dave Houston" <nob...@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>
> news:463652fe.1689880921@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> "Robert Green" <ROBERT_GREEN1...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > >FWIW, my N-vision CFL floodlight has begun to take a very long time to
> warm
> > >up and appears never able to reach its initial brightness level.  Too
> bad,
> > >because it looked like a real winner at first.  My wife wants it gone
> from
> > >the kitchen!  I concur.  Slow warmup is really, really annoying when you
> > >want to look at something right away.
>
> > Take care when you remove it lest you drop and break it. ;)
>
> http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/financialpost/story.html?id=aa7796...
> -4c06-be84-b62dee548fda
>
> I'm beginning to think CFL's are the gypsy moths of the '00's.  Instead of
> catching mercury spewing out of smokestacks like we should (along with
> carbon) we're distributing toxic mercury all throughout the environment,
> hoping it's all going to be properly recycled even thought we know Americans
> aren't the best recyclers in the world.  It is pretty bizarre, when you stop
> and think about it.  Perhaps the best we can hope for from CFL's is that
> they will spur development of better alternatives that don't require
> creating mercury vapor in fragile glass tubes in our homes.
>
> --
> Bobby G.

http://dafnwebpd.sylvania.com/idmweb/doccontent.dll?LibraryName=ecomcspd^dafnctpd&SystemType=2&LogonId=f7eecb462aecb681dcfbdc3351d22153&DocId=003694126&Page=1

The mercury emitted by coal power plants to run an incandescent is 26
mg over 5 years.  For a CFL this is 6 mg.  Add to that the max 5 mg of
CFL in the bulb itself and you get 11 mg compared with 26 for the
incandescent.  A mercury thermometer has between 500 and 1,000 mg.
And the 5 mg of mercury in a CFL is contained, as opposed to the
mercury emitted by coal power plants, which is breathed in or consumed
when eating fish.   See the above link for what to do if a CFL breaks.

So, as long as 80% of our electricity comes from coal, it's still
better to use CFLs!