Re: PDF accessibility (was Re: N:Vision CFL's)

>> Once again, PDFs solve the problem
>> because they are so easily scalable.
>> HTML does not do so nearly as well.
>
> I don't understand why this point is so
> hard to make.  If a user has to run at
> 600 by 800 because the screen controls
> are too small to see otherwise, they are
> going to end up in pan and scan
> pandemonium when they encounter one
> of the millions of web PDFs that began
> life as an 8.5 by 11" printed page.

I guess the difference is you see it as pandemonium whereas I see it as a normal part of reading any wide document.  When I read
anything wider than my screen I click on the first word, hold down [CTRL] and the right arrow.  When  I get to the right edge of the
screen everything shifts.

> (Google came up with 1 BILLION hits on
> .PDF and the first ten I looked at, just at
> random, were all 8.5 by 11" page sizes.
> Try it yourself.)

I'll take your word for it.

>> When I use other people's PC's I have to
>> pan and scan.  It's not a problem.  It's
>> still much easier than HTML.
>
> What?  Are you really saying that blind
> people (or even me) hitting right arrow,
> left arrow, over and over again, line by
> line is easier than pressing one page
> down key and watching text reflow
> automatically?

Have you ever used a Braille display?
I have.  The ones I've seen display one
line of text at a time.  The user hits a
key to display the next line.

> I'll believe that when Denise Brown's
> real killer confesses to the crime - and
> it's not OJ.  That's what this thread
> was all about...

It's about OJ?  :^)

>>> --- snip non-probative stuff ---
>
> Ooh, more legalese and pseudo-editorial
> proclamations!...

Nope.  You posted stuff that proves nothing.
I snipped it.  Probative is a commonly understood
word.

> You're a hoot.

I'm lots of fun at parties, too.

> Obviously a simple <stuff snipped> won't
> quite do.  Too neutral to capture your mood
> or what?

Nope.  "stuff snipped" would not convey the
thought.

> Are you planning to start your own Internet
> reality called show "Judge Bob Bass" or are
> you just trying out as second chair for our
> resident Perry Mason?

Are you trying to turn a disagreement over
technical stuff into a something unpleasant?

> Since somehow you seem to think you're
> in a courtroom following the rules of
> evidence and criminal procedure and not
> Usenet:

Why is it you believe you know what others
are thinking?  ISTR similar comments WRT
Marc.

> "Your honor, I move we adjourn this thread
> as we're clearly talking past each other now."

I'll take it under advisement.  :^)

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass