Re: N:Vision CFL's

"Dan Wright" <nobody@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:4DbNh.6324$oV.5127@xxxxxxxxxxxx

> "Robert Green" <ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>

> > There are lots of competing claims, the most interesting among them
being
> > CFL equivalency ratings are overblown.  A poster to the discussion at
> > wikipedia says that his tests show that CFL's claimed to be equivalent
> > 100W lightbulb are actually noticeably dimmer.  This is something I mean
> > test since I "scored" a number of the N-Vision CFL's at Home Depot
> > tonight:
> >
> > 762148549236.....9R4023 floodlight.....$7.47
> > 762148582328.....23W 2Pk..................$7.97
> > 762148581925.....19W 2Pk..................$7.97
> > 762148581444.....14W Mini 4Pk...........$7.97
> > 762148588429.....42W Bulb.................$9.97
>
> Don't know where you are located but here in So Cal SCE is subsidizing
bulbs
> (N:vision in particular) at out local Home Depot.  I can get 4 PAR 30
> interior flood for less than 10, 6 60 watt equiv for about that too.  If I
> get there today I will note the prices and post them.

I'm in the Wash, DC area.  Didn't you used to be?  There was no sale I was
aware of - I just stopped by shortly before closing and grabbed an
assortment to test.  Pepco/Vepco doesn't appear to have a program, although
I've heard of some independent organizations offering at least a free bulb
to each household that switches over.

> > Even though it's bigger than the bulb it's going to replace (and that's
an
> > issue) the 42W does indeed "snap on" to near full brightness much faster
> > than the older bulb, a Lights of America triaxial bulb.  The 42W bulb
> > comes
> > with two plastic clips that are not mentioned anywhere on the package.
> > The
> > look like they could be used the way some lampshades have a wire clamp
for
> > the bulb that supports the shade, but it's hard to tell.
> >
> > The Nvoice in-store display had a staggering variety.  Some of the
> > warnings
> > on the bulbs are new to me (do not use near marine radios or in
emergency
> > exit signs).  I'll have to dig out my Gossen Luna Pro lightmeter so I
can
> > make some meaningful measurement if the CHA research committee
stipulates
> > it
> > to be accurate enough for the purpose!  (-:
>
> Indeed, we have high standards here ;-)

I've searched three boxes of photo gear to no avail.  I may have been hasty
in promising the Luna Pro to measure light output.  I have fallback
positions, though.

> > The N:Vision bulbs work in my porch light, a fixture controlled by a
> > generic
> > X-10 wall switch.  No other CFL has been able to do that without
flashing
> > at
> > about 4 on/off cycles per second.  I detect a slight pulsing but it's my
> > wife, who's TDY, who will decide if that's objectionable.
>
> Is it  dimmer?  Relay switches all have a snubber circuit around the
> contacts which can cause flickering.  The answer is a change in components
> value.  N:vision and other newer bulbs are more prone to this that older
> ones.  I have seen the flickering only on single bulb circuts and not on
> multiple bulb ones.  A voltemeter accross the load/neutral lines should
show
> it as well.

It's the pushbutton variety of an X-10 WS-467, IIRC.  It normally runs from
an X-10 Pro LCD timer or via keychain controllers via a Rex

> I also have one 60 watt equivalent in an exterior light that does not seem
> to like the cold.  However, it looks to be more of a fixture issue.

Fortunately, that might have to wait until next year to test.

> > The light from the bulb appears much dimmer than the 60W incandescent it
> > replaced, but that's understandable because it's 14W and that's
equivalent
> > to a 40W incandescent, IIRC.  Hard to describe the difference in
lighting
> > quality but the front door cam view has changed.  I'll probably test the
> > 19W
> > in that fixture next because I want good lighting for the front door
cams.

> We have found that the 60 and 75 watt equivalent N:visions are bright
enough
> immediately that any warm up time for full brightness is quite tolerable.
> However it is much more obvious with the PAR 30 replacements.  Not sure as
> to why, one would think they are the same internally.

The warm-up times are indeed excellent.  We can only hope they remain that
way over the life of the bulb which we can only hope will be as long as they
say it will!

> The other point with CFLs is heat.  We have a Halo recessed shower fixture
> that has a low heat protection threshold.  Even a 40 watt incandescent
would
> trip it even though it is rated for 60 watt continuous.  Electrician said
> that it happens a lot with the shower kit, and said that changing it may
not
> fix it.  I put in a 60 watt equivalent N:vision.  More light and no more
> heat issues.

Are there any issues you know of regarding base up v. base down installs?

They'll definitely keep the house cool in the summer.  The 42W can be
handled by the glass after running for two hours.  Try that with an
incandescent 150W, its listed equivalent.

--
Bobby G.