Re: Does anyone know who is making these light bulbs?

"Lewis Gardner" <lgardner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> Robert Green wrote:
>
> > convenient transition-technology for those who are not comfortable with
the
> > short lag-time associated with the initial lighting of Compact
Fluorescents.

> Obviously written by someone that does not use a LCD monitor very much.
> I have yet to see a CCFL that comes to full brightness instantly.

For the record, I merely quoted Wikipedia, your source for somewhat
"plastic" facts!

> Dallas Semiconductor has an app note on CCFLs that has an actual
> brightness vs time chart. At room temperature a CCFL takes over 3
> minutes to reach 100% brightness. They take 20 seconds to reach 80%. If
> the temperature is freezing 3 minutes only gets you to 60% brightness.
> This is a technology that is not suited to general lighting at this time.
>
> Don't believe everything you read (Wikipedia or elsewhere). Notice that
> the section you quoted has no attribution. Later in the Wikipedia
> article there is a statement that:
>
> "CFLs don't work right for television and theater stage lighting. The
> dimmers don't dim CFLs properly, The CFLs won't light or burn out
> quickly, and the lens systems in spotlights won't focus a CFL to a
> smooth pool of light."
>
> I don't know about CFLs but fluorescent lights are used frequently in
> television. Dimming is not a concern since dimmed incandescents play
> havoc with skin tones so most TV studio lighting runs at 100%.
> Fluorescents are used frequently in "talking head" studio television due
> to their soft extended source qualities and low heat output.

I agree.  That particular paragraph is quite poorly written in a number of
dimensions.

The one defense I can think of is my impression that fluorescents were a
relative newcomer to studios as color cameras became more adept at dealing
with the somewhat different light quality.  The last time I did any TV work
(1984 - the year, not the movie!) the color cameras were still liable to
cast a very greenish pallor over the subjects under fluorescent lights.  I
know by the early 90's color camera sensors were much improved.  In fact my
Nikon 950 Coolpix has the best white balance I have ever seen in an
electronic camera, including many of their subsequent and substantially more
expensive models.

--
Bobby G.