Re: Does anyone know who is making these light bulbs?

Robert Green wrote:

> convenient transition-technology for those who are not comfortable with the
> short lag-time associated with the initial lighting of Compact Fluorescents.

Obviously written by someone that does not use a LCD monitor very much.
I have yet to see a CCFL that comes to full brightness instantly.

Dallas Semiconductor has an app note on CCFLs that has an actual
brightness vs time chart. At room temperature a CCFL takes over 3
minutes to reach 100% brightness. They take 20 seconds to reach 80%. If
the temperature is freezing 3 minutes only gets you to 60% brightness.
This is a technology that is not suited to general lighting at this time.

Don't believe everything you read (Wikipedia or elsewhere). Notice that
the section you quoted has no attribution. Later in the Wikipedia
article there is a statement that:

"CFLs don't work right for television and theater stage lighting. The
dimmers don't dim CFLs properly, The CFLs won't light or burn out
quickly, and the lens systems in spotlights won't focus a CFL to a
smooth pool of light."

I don't know about CFLs but fluorescent lights are used frequently in
television. Dimming is not a concern since dimmed incandescents play
havoc with skin tones so most TV studio lighting runs at 100%.
Fluorescents are used frequently in "talking head" studio television due
to their soft extended source qualities and low heat output.