Re: Switch Module for Complact Fluorescent Bulbs

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 19:39:34 GMT, "Jeff Volp" <JeffVolp@xxxxxxx>
wrote:

>"Marc_F_Hult" <MFHult@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 11:39:46 -0400, Stan Rinkunas
>> <stop.rink01sfr.spam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> <j4btv29ush69lhr5uivh79i4fcbngc00qp@xxxxxxx>:
>>
>>>Does anyone know of modules for fully in-outlet-box mounting that has
>>>a true switch or relay with open contacts - not a solid state switch.
>>>
>>>I want to use the new commonly available CF bulbs and have my control
>>>modules mounted in the outlet boxes.  I am open to consider any HA
>>>system that has these modules.  I prefer not to have to buy "special"
>>>CF bulbs.
>>>
>> X-10 dimmer switches are a different matter in part because many (eg
>> WS467)
>> X-10 dimmers don't have a direction connection to neutral and derive the
>> power they need to operate through the lamp filament. These
>> characteristically do not work with only typical fluorescent lamps in the
>> circuit. Adding a small incandescent in parallel can solve the problem.
>> There are, of course, also fluorescent-friendly X-10 switches. They
>> should/will be identified as such by the manufacturer and retailer.
>
>Leviton makes a X10 compatible relay switch that works flawlessly with CFLs.
>We use the older "red line" 16293.  That has been replaced by the
>electronically programmable "green line" HCS10-1SW, which should work just
>as well.  That switch has a neutral connection so the signal return does
>pass through the switched load.
>
>I recommend installing the small Leviton 6287 noise block in series with the
>power feeding any CFLs.  That will prevent noise generated by certain kinds
>of CFLs from reaching the X10 switch.
>
>Jeff

Thanks to all who have replied.  To clarify, I am not looking for
"appliance modules" to plug into a duplex receptacle.  I am looking
for a relay-or-switch module that mounts inside the wall box and is
hard-wired to an outlet it will control.