Re: leviton vizia RF switches (Z-wave)

"David Rothman" <drothman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Leviton has just added an RF component to their Vizia line.  I spoke to them
>yesterday and they said it's been out for about 1 month.
>
>I'm replacing all my old X10 stuff (too flaky).  i also have just redone
>several rooms in my basement, so i'm going to wire up all those rooms with a
>mix of non-RF and RF switches.  If the technology is reliable, I'd likely
>get to work changing many of the switches throughout the house.
>
>These things are very expensive ($70-$80+) per switch.  To cut down on the
>cost, i may opt to mix in Decora switches (the decoras are your typical
>rocker switches, while the vizia's are 'return to neutral switches' (meaning
>u just press the bottom half of the switch)).
>
>Although they're new, I'm wondering if anyone has tried them?  they're only
>available from lighting or electronic stores - not (yet?) from home depot's
>or lowe's.  thanks

I haven't tried them but would suggest you need some minimum spacing between
network nodes (I think 20-25').

You might also try less expensive sources. AutomatedOutlet.com lists a 600W
Vizia return-to-neutral dimmer switch for under $20. I have no idea how
these differ from the more expensive models but Martin Custer, the owner of
AutomatedOutlet, has always proven to know what he's talking about (unlike
some other dealers) so I suggest you ask him. See...

     http://automatedoutlet.com/product.php?productid=1750&cat=0&page=1
     http://automatedoutlet.com/search.php?mode=search

http://davehouston.net