Re: Electric Outlet Control Via LAN

On 7 Mar 2007 09:25:55 -0800, "EdwardATeller"
<sorry_no_email@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>I'd like to be able to control a powerstrip over my network.  I
>currently have an X10 outlet with remote control that will switch a
>plug on or off, but I would prefer to have this signal go over my LAN
>to a computer in the basement, which then would control a powerstrip
>via a USB connection.  Not sure if anything like this exists, so that
>is why I am posting here.
>
>The actual application is that I have several routers in the basement,
>and I'd like to be able to power cycle them via a network command from
>upstairs.  I know I can send software reboot commands to routers via a
>browser interface, but occasionally I'd like to be able to simply
>power them off.  Plus, sometimes I need to power cycle the cable
>modem.
>
>A powerstrip with a USB connection that allowed me independent control
>over each outlet would be a nice solution to the problem.  I wonder if
>the market would have much demand for something like this and what its
>price point might be.  I could use Windows Task Manager to set a
>schedule for when each outlet turned on or off.

If the computer in the basement has a serial port, then get an
x10 "firecracker" controller. I've found two command line
applications that will operate it like below. Put apache on the
computer and then run the command line applications via web page
and cgi. I did this some time back and it worked quite well (and
the price is affordable).

http://www.ubasics.com/adam/electronics/cm17.shtml