Re: Tying in GEM-X10 into Napco Gemini 816 Alarm System Controller

On 6 Mar 2007 08:49:53 -0800, yeahprolly@xxxxxxx wrote in message
<1173199791.480559.94940@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>I have recently had Slomins security (a central station alarm
>management company) install an alarm system in my house. They used a
>Napco Gemini 816 Central Controller. I'm trying to tie this into a
>home automation system I am starting to build. I see there is an X10
>integration module I can purchase (GEM-X10). I will be installing 3-
>way Switchlinc dimmer switches (2494m3) for my lights, which support
>both the Switchlinc protocol and X10 protocol.

>snip>

>2) Is there anything I am missing or is this a pretty straightforward
>thing to set up?
>
>3) Any "gotchas" I need to worry about?
>
>Thanks!

As Robert points out, the [greatly] preferred Napco controller for Home
Automation is the 9600. Not too that incorporating a Napco 9600 in a
overall HA system with other HA subsystems typically requires using a PC
running HA software 24x7 which may not be what you want.

Nine years ago I started the HA system in my house around an existing Napco
security system by upgrading an older, simpler Napco panel to a model 9600.
This was similar to your current status. In retrospect, the decision to
retain the existing contractor and monitoring company was a good one.

If I had it to do today, I might have reused the wiring and sensor
infrastructure and installed an Elk M1G panel www.elkproducts.com or Omni
Pro www.homeauto.com or Stargate www.jdstechnologies.com self-contained HA
controller instead. (I now have both Napco 9600 and an Elk M1G --  a
Belt-and-Suspenders approach, as it were).

Consider re-evaluating what you have installed that is of value given your
objectives. It may be that Napco is not the best route and that you are
early enough in your HA planning that you can easily and cost-effectively
change trajectories.  This depends in large part on what you want to do and
whether having a PC with software (eg www.HomeSeer.com,
www.charmedquark.com,  www.automatedliving.com/ ) running 24 x7 is in your
plans.

Depending on how extensive the security wiring and sensors you have are,
most of the value may be in the wiring (=labor) and sensors  rather than
the panel itself.

1) What specifically did your contractor install in the way of wiring and
sensors?
2) Do you have a contract with the monitoring company that limits your
options?
3) What other security panels does the monitoring provider support
(assuming your high comfort level with them) ?

... Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org