Re: CAT5 568A v. 568B..Hmmm..odd problem?

On 2 Mar 2007 01:50:44 -0800, funkykev@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote in message
<1172829043.920015.63720@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>On Mar 1, 10:44 am, Lewis Gardner
><lgard...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>wrote>
>> A on on end and B on the other is a crossover cable. It works because
>> many modern routers/switches have an auto-sense feature to let either
>> configuration work.
>
>Tah-dah!!  Lewis is right.  Let's boil off all of the other comments
>because this is what I was asking in the original post.  I've since
>done some research(and reading here) and am much...er...somewaht
>wiser.  Now I realize how hazy my original description was :-)  To be
>more clear:  The jack in question is in the wall.  On the back of the
>jack in the wall I hardwired for the A code/scheme with a CAT5e (no
>plug, just twisted pairs).  The plug at the other end of this cord is
>wired as a B.  I created a crossover cable accidentally.  And it's all
>true:  As long as BOTH ends/plugs of any cable are the same, AandA or
>BandB the cable will function fine with either an A or B wired setup
>at any given end of it.  True?  (please confirm).  And also apparently
>my modem is smart enough to know that I have a crossover cable jammed
>into it and not a straight-thru cable.  i will go back and rewire the
>jack as a B.  The exception, I believe, is that if you intend to carry
>internet or similar AND a Ma Bell phone signal through the same cord,
>then you need to wire for A at your receptacles?  This, however I have
>not confirmed.  There you go.  have at it...and thanks!
>
>Kevin

Kevin,

Thank you for your summary -- an important part of usenet etiquette
(" netiquette ").

When folks ask for and receives assistance, it makes the whole exercise
much more useful to other folks who may be interested in the answer if the
conclusions, recommendations and(or) results are summarized.

Lamentably, this common courtesy is more usually honored in the breach
these days.

 ... Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org