Re: EIB / Gira Information Needed

On Jun 3, 12:23 am, Bugga <big_bug...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Jun 1, 2:36 pm, Konnexman <beirao.n...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Il Ministro escreveu:
>
> > > Most Siemens PLCs including Logo! speak variants of EIB/KNX, so you may
> > > find details over Siemens website.
>
> > Correction, Siemens PLCs have interfaces to speak KNX. There are no
> > such things as "variants".
>
> > EIB/KNX is the only Open Standard for Building Automation.
>
> > It is a ISO Standard.
>
> I'm being told by the German installer that only the basic functions
> can be controlled (such as light ON/OFF) using a Crestron processor
> and an CG-EIB. He says he uses TwinCAT software to complete the
> programming after assigning the addresses in ETS. He also says that by
> running TwinCAT on a PC he can also send the "values", that would be
> lost otherwise.
>
> Since I'm just learning the concept of EIB this may be trivial to you,
> however we want to be sure the CG-EIB and related Crestron module will
> work in ALL scenarios.
>
> Any ideas on this?
>
> bugga

I'v never worked with Crestron in an instalation, but it seems to
control much more than that (basic on/off).

On the web site of Creston, they say:

"Controls and visualises of 1 Bit, 4 Bit, 1 Byte and 2 Byte values of
EIB-bus modules."

1 bit = on/off
4 Bit - open close shutters
1 Byte - scenarios, brightness, analog
2 Byte = temperature control

In a normal knx interface, you don't have to worry too much with those
infos (1 bit, etc), because the software will present you with a
description of what they mean, and will only let you interface the
correct values.