Re: IR Blasters?

On Jun 4, 6:46 am, nob...@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Dave Houston) wrote:
> The range of any IR emitter is mostly a function of the drive current
> available from the IR signal source. Most microcontroller based devices need
> to limit the current to a level that the microcontroller pins can handle.
> So, you're really looking at this the wrong way around. If you have
> sufficient drive current, almost any emitter can give the range you need.
> Because the duty cycle is low, most emitters can handle lots of current. If
> you do not have sufficient drive current, no unamplified emitter will give
> you the range needed.
>
> Is your objection to the Powermid based on appearance? If not, its built-in
> emitter gives more than adequate range with no need to add any external
> blaster. There are other Powermid-like devices with a better esthetic but
> whether they have similarly powered built-in emitters may depend on the
> specific make/model.

I wanted to avoid using RF.

> Finally, the term "IR Blaster" has come to be used with widely varying
> devices from stick-on emitter-only devices to amplified devices that are
> more deserving of the name.

Yes unfortunately, and thus makes it hard to search for what I'm
looking for. I did find the Niles IRC-1 and IRB-1, which according to
the manual can work 18'-30' line of sight, but the manual also
mentioned wall mount options for better aesthetics, but mentions no
part numbers, grr.

Also, I was looking to set this on a table or shelf not mount on a
wall.

Back to your point about the drive current, do the IRC-1 and IRB-1
require special amplifiers, or can they be driven by the Xtra Link
directly?