Re: IR Blasters?

The range of any IR emitter is mostly a function of the drive current
available from the IR signal source. Most microcontroller based devices need
to limit the current to a level that the microcontroller pins can handle.
So, you're really looking at this the wrong way around. If you have
sufficient drive current, almost any emitter can give the range you need.
Because the duty cycle is low, most emitters can handle lots of current. If
you do not have sufficient drive current, no unamplified emitter will give
you the range needed.

Is your objection to the Powermid based on appearance? If not, its built-in
emitter gives more than adequate range with no need to add any external
blaster. There are other Powermid-like devices with a better esthetic but
whether they have similarly powered built-in emitters may depend on the
specific make/model.

Finally, the term "IR Blaster" has come to be used with widely varying
devices from stick-on emitter-only devices to amplified devices that are
more deserving of the name.