Re: Neutral terminal on X-10 type wall switch

"Ian Shef" <invalid@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> "Marilyn & Bob" <Privacy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
> _YKni.10414$yx4.9624@trndny08:">news:_YKni.10414$yx4.9624@trndny08:
>
> <snip>
>> note that very low current devices such as lighted switches do use the
>> ground to complete the circuit.  They do not even have a neutral
>> terminal.
> <snip>
> Lighted switches do NOT use the ground to complete the circuit.  They
> complete the circuit through the load.  They operate with such a low
> current
> that the load is not visibly affected.
>
> To demonstrate this, take a properly wired lighted switch and remove all
> of
> the loads (bulbs) from the circuit.  The light in the switch will no
> longer
> work.  If the light in the switch still works, either you missed a load or
> the wiring is incorrect.

I did this experiment and the light stayed on when the switch was in the
open (off) position.  I removed all the bulbs, even though they are CFs and
there would be no current through the load when they were off in any case.

The switch is a standard lighted SPST wall switch.  It is connected to the
line and load.  Ground is through the box (BX cable).  When the switch is
wired but out of the box (and the breaker is ON), the light does not go on.
The circuit is unquestionably completed through the ground.  If you have a
lighted switch, I suggest you do your experiment.

A later poster indicated that the fluorescent light switch uses the current
to trigger a relay and so it is more than a trickle and thus it is not the
equivalent of the lighted switch and requires an actual neutral connection.
--
Peace,
BobJ