Re: Neutral terminal on X-10 type wall switch

>I would still like to know if someone knows what is
> the actual function of the neutral connection.

The neutral wire is there to complete the circuit
back to the breaker panel.  It is sized the same
as the hot leg and must carry the same amount
of current.

> While your statement is almost always true,
> note that very low current devices such as
> lighted switches do use the ground to complete
> the circuit...

Not if the installer follows code, they don't.  The
ground is for safety, not to be used as a current
carrying conductor.  It is not sized for the purpose
either.  For example, you may have multiple
circuits supplied through 14 AWG cable using a
single, 14-gauge ground wire.

> They do not even have a neutral terminal...

Switch legs sometimes have only hot, switched
hot and ground leads.  This is common where
power is supplied directly to a fixture or outlet.
In such cases the neutral is not required but
that does not mean that the safety ground can
be used in the manner you would like.

Don't get us wrong on this, friend.  No one here
is trying to be a code enforcer.  We're only
telling you what we've had to deal with on our
own installations.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass