Re: Open garden gate indicator

> I am looking for something that will let me know
> if one of my garden gates is open or closed.  I
> saw something in the Home Automation catalog
> but the magnetic switch doesn't look like it is
> waterproof. I have also been thinking about
> modifying a Craftsman Garage door open/closed
> system that I use but am not quite sure how to
> do that.  Any ideas out there?

Virtually all of the magnetic sensors (called "contacts")
used in the alarm industry are waterproof.  GE Security,
GRI and Honeywell all make reliable, wide-gap contacts
that could easily be used for this purpose.  Your choice
will depend on the distance between the gate and the
fence when it is closed.  If it's tight fitting (less than 1/2
an inch) almost any standard door sensor will do. If the
gap is larger, up to 3", you'll need one of the models
used for a garage door.  Standard door contacts cost
between $2 and $4 and wide gap; ones for a garage
door cost about $11 or so up to $27, depending on the
model.

If the gate is made of iron, you'll need a wide-gap contact.
These are available with brackets designed for mounting
on the kind of pipe used to build fences.  On a reasonably
close-fitting, wooden fence gate you could fit a recessed
contact which is concealed from view.  If you only need
one or two of the basic contacts, let me know and I'll send
you a sample.  I sell hundreds of door contacts from
various manufacturers in my online store.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics