Open garden gate indicator

I am looking for something that will let me know if one of my garden gates
is open or closed.  I saw something in the Home Automation catalog but the
magnetic switch doesn't look like it is waterproof. I have also been
thinking about modifying a Craftsman Garage door open/closed system that I
use but am not quite sure how to do that.
Any ideas out there?
Thanks
JD