Re: Does an automatic shutoff energy saver light switch exist?

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 18:44:42 -0500, John McGaw <nobody@xxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>Michael Balarama wrote:
>> Does an automatic shutoff energy saver light switch exist?
>>
>> My parents always yelled at us to shut off our lights constantly and now I
>> find myself constantly yelling at the kids to shut the lights off. I know
>> it's a losing cause.
>>
>> Maybe there is a better way?
>>
>> Do they have automatic-shut-off light switches I can simply remove and
>> replace my existing standard light switches is? Are they inexpensive enough
>> to be practical?
>>
>> Better yet, do reasonably priced light switches exist that automatically
>> turn the lights on and off as you walk by? Do they also fit in the existing
>> light switch boxes?
>>
>> Please advise.
>> Thanks
>
>They exist. And they exist in a wide price range from low-end units
>available at every big-box homecenter up to sophisticated high-end
>commercial units. I have a few low-end units, one in my garage, one in
>the entry hall from the garage, and one in the laundry room and have and
>no problem with any of them unless you include a seeming unwillingness
>to work with a CF-only load.

I have a timer switch
(www.intermatic.com/images/instruction_sheets/158ei12087.pdf) that I
got at Lowe's that works fine with a CF-only load. It does require a
neutral connection.

I wish I could find a motion-detector switch that would work here. The
ones I have are 2-wire , and don't work with the CFs.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy