Re: automation for dust collector

Hi Hank,
   First off I would never trust an X10 device to control the high
current end of your dust collector. Use a double pole contactor that
has a 120vac coil. Then use an X-10 appliance module to fire the
contactor. This will give added protection from the startup current of
the dust collector motor.

   There are current sensors that clamp clamp over the hot leads  of
your tools in the breaker panel. They can be hooked up to the X-10
module that looks for switch closures. Setups like this are used in
building automation systems to run things like hot and cold water loop
pumps, HVAC  etc. in buildings. They don't use X-10, but are low
voltage low current to high voltage high current controls.

   I use a current sensor to monitor the status of my well pump. It
triggers my home automation system and gives me a recorded start/stop
status. This way I can see if I have a leak in my irrigation loop.

   I hope this helps