Re: Does an automatic shutoff energy saver light switch exist?

Michael Balarama wrote:
> Does an automatic shutoff energy saver light switch exist?
>
> My parents always yelled at us to shut off our lights constantly and now I
> find myself constantly yelling at the kids to shut the lights off. I know
> it's a losing cause.
>
> Maybe there is a better way?
>
> Do they have automatic-shut-off light switches I can simply remove and
> replace my existing standard light switches is? Are they inexpensive enough
> to be practical?
>
> Better yet, do reasonably priced light switches exist that automatically
> turn the lights on and off as you walk by? Do they also fit in the existing
> light switch boxes?
>
> Please advise.
> Thanks

They exist. And they exist in a wide price range from low-end units
available at every big-box homecenter up to sophisticated high-end
commercial units. I have a few low-end units, one in my garage, one in
the entry hall from the garage, and one in the laundry room and have and
no problem with any of them unless you include a seeming unwillingness
to work with a CF-only load. The size is the same as a typical light
dimmer and they fit fine in a standard box but be forewarned that they
seem all to be compatible with "Decora" plates like you see with GFCI
outlets, not regular toggle switch plates. Whether they are worthwhile
depends on what your electricity costs, how often you leave the lights
on in an unoccupied room, what the lighting load is, and what you have
to pay to obtain and install the switch. I can't recall what I paid for
my switches but it seems likely that it must be < $20 given how cheap I am.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]