Re: Sears Garage door opener + control outdoor lights

Dave Houston wrote:
> "Chaotik" <chaotik@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I have a Sears Craftsman garage door opener that came with a 3 button
>> multi function remote control that is supposed to be Homelink
>> compatible.
>> One of the buttons controls the door itself and the other 2 I was
>> hoping I could program to perform other stuff.
>>
>> Mainly, I would like to have one of the other 2 buttons turn the
>> outdoor lights on and off from my car. They are not lights that I can
>> plug into an outlet. They are currently controlled by a wall light
>> switch inside the house. I was hoping I could simply replace that light
>> switch by one that is wireless enable (315 Mhz is the frequency my
>> Sears remote operates at).
>>
>> I asked the technical support at X10 is their products would allow me
>> to do that.
>> I ended up buying 2 parts. 1 WS467 wall switch module and 1 TM751 Mini
>> Transceiver. Is that even right ? So far, I plugged a lamp into the
>> mini transceiver and tried to turn it on and off using the Sears remote
>> with no success. Do I need to do anything for the transceiver to
>> "learn" the remote ?
>> Is there a simpler way ?
>>
>> Please let me know if you can help me ...
>
> The TM751 uses 310MHz and (almost certainly) a different RF protocol than
> your Sears remote. They will not work together.
>
> You may have confused the tech support people if you mentioned Homelink.
> Built-in Homelink transmitters can learn (both frequency and protocol) but
> your Sears remote cannot.

Are you sure about that?  I thought that's basically the entire POINT of
Homelink.  It's a learning RF remote.  If that's not the case, what the
heck does Homelink do???  The Homelink buttons on my Prius rearview
mirror do absolutely NOTHING until I train them on the RF remotes I want
them to emulate.

My answer would have been that you need to

1) buy or borrow a palmpad RF remote,
2) set it and the wall switch to the code you want to use
3) make sure you can turn the lights on and off with the palmpad
4) train your garage door opener from the palmpad