Re: Sears Garage door opener + control outdoor lights

"rlsusenet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <NoSuchPerson@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Dave Houston wrote:

[snip]

>> The TM751 uses 310MHz and (almost certainly) a different RF protocol than
>> your Sears remote. They will not work together.
>>
>> You may have confused the tech support people if you mentioned Homelink.
>> Built-in Homelink transmitters can learn (both frequency and protocol) but
>> your Sears remote cannot.
>
>Are you sure about that?  I thought that's basically the entire POINT of
>Homelink.  It's a learning RF remote.  If that's not the case, what the
>heck does Homelink do???  The Homelink buttons on my Prius rearview
>mirror do absolutely NOTHING until I train them on the RF remotes I want
>them to emulate.
>
>My answer would have been that you need to
>
>1) buy or borrow a palmpad RF remote,
>2) set it and the wall switch to the code you want to use
>3) make sure you can turn the lights on and off with the palmpad
>4) train your garage door opener from the palmpad

Yes, I'm sure about that. I think you need to reread the original post. He
does not have a Homelink equipped car but has a garage door remote which is
sold as "Homelink compatible" which means that, if he did have a Homelink
equipped car, he could use the garage door remote to train his Homelink. In
this case, calling the remote "Homelink compatible" is about as meaningful
as calling it "gravity compatible". I predict if you hold it at shoulder
height and release your grip, it will demonstrate its "gravity
compatibility".

The "compatibility" is in the Homelink system not in the garage door opener.
Any ASK RF system using frequencies within the Homelink range is "Homelink
compatible" in that the Homelink system can learn it. The garage door opener
and remote use a fixed 315MHz frequency. The garage door opener can be
trained to respond to two more of the remotes designed to work with it but
cannot be trained for 310MHz or for the X-10 RF protocol.

Now, if you want to loan him your Prius... ;)

http://davehouston.net