Re: 24 guage wire

> With all other factors
> being constant, the current
> rating of a wire is directly
> related to its cross-sectional
> area.

Oh, yes.  I was thinking of the difference between diameter and area.  The following was borrowed without permission from a handy
website.  I had the AWG issue right but I erred about cmil area vs diameter.  Thanks.

For the benefit of anyone I may have confused (as well as anyone who was already confused:)).
Size        Diameter
AWG          inches          cmils        Amps18  -------- 0.04030 ------- 1,624 ------ 2.300
20  -------- 0.03196 ------- 1,022 ------ 1.500
22  -------- 0.02535 ------- 642.5 ------ 0.920
24  -------- 0.02010 ------- 404.0 ------ 0.577If we use four 24-gauge wires we can carry 4 x 0.577 amps.  That is just a tad over
2.3 Amps total, the same as dropping the gauge by 6.  Many installers use a 2:3 rule of thumb when doubling up on conductors -- 2
wires:3 gauge decrease.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass